The cast iron cannon featured in the War of 1812 gallery has a colorful history. Manufactured between 1710-1730 by British cannon maker "W.J. Hall", the gun was used by American Revolutionary forces in North Carolina against the British.
Following the war, it was taken to Tennessee and used by that state's militia. With the outbreak of hostilities in the War of 1812, the cannon was taken by Andrew Jackson and his forces "down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico" where it was used by them against the British again at the famous Battle of New Orleans in 1815.
The cannon is mounted on a cypress New Orleans made naval carriage and contains all original iron work, including the cast iron wheels. (Overall size: 3 inch bore, 5 feet long, 400 pounds)